Friday, January 14, 2011

Quick Blog #3

1. An experience where I was privileged due to my class/socioeconomic status is being able to dine out try out restaurants in the area. I love cooking and anything food but this is becoming more and more evident to be that this is extremely privileged and is something those of middle and upper classes have extra money for. The hospitality industry thrives off of people of privilege with extra income to spend and have the lower class be employed at these places.

2. A time when I was oppressed/disadvantaged due to my class/socioeconomic status was over the past holiday when I was shopping for my family I went to a store that was catered to the upper class. I walked around for a bit looking and was not asked if I needed any help, and when I went to the counter to purchase a gift card the woman spoke few words to me and gave me the card and receipt by itself when there was an abundance of small boxes and bags behind the counter. Although I could have easily asked if I really wanted it, the cold tone that I felt from the employee made me feel not welcome in the store because of how I looked and was dressed.

3. An experience where I witnessed classism was this past summer when I met a friend of a friend for the first time, who happened to be a white male. We all were discussing the poor economy and how its pretty difficult to find work. But he continued on to bring up that minorities has an advantage over whites in gaining jobs and that's why he didn't have one currently. I said to him that regardless of equal opportunity employment minorities in reality have an even harder time finding jobs than do whites, specifically males.  Also I mentioned to him the demographics of the Seacoast and most of New Hampshire is majority white. The economy is bad for everyone, blaming another group for troubles you are currently facing as a white male is not accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment