Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tuesday 1/4: Question B

My first notion of what feminism meant was portrayed through popular culture and the media. It was never a term that I heard from my family members, teachers or other adults or friends, but a term as I got older was described just as the examples the movie used, man hating, lesbian, doesn't shave, etc. This was the picture and notion that I had in my mind until having the opportunity to learn and explore what this term really meant, and what it means to me.

I identify as a feminist. This term I believe does not have a specific definition but is a collective vision that all those who believe in this word and incorporate into their daily life are working towards equality of all human beings regardless of gender identity. This world we live in today was built and still continues to operate under a white supremacist capitalist patriarchy. As a feminist I try to bring issues that still persist so evidently today, such as racism, sexism, classicism, and the endless other forms of discrimination that people continue experience. Its hard to see people try to say that these issues are of the past and are not a problem today, because they are only creating a false reality and turning their heads at prevalent issues that cannot continue to be normalized in main stream society. Stereotypes that people live by are a false, they never truly experienced difference or diversity before automatically having a notion and thought of an individual or group of people who do not support society norms. People have forgotten how to look at the individual because their minds are so polluted with these preconceived judgments that mainstream society perpetuates.  I hope to help break down the stereotypes associated with the word feminist and enable anyone to understand the idea of this word and how it is working towards equality for every individual.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,
    I found it interesting that you initial understanding of feminism was what the stereotype of the word is. My question is, do you think that this is a serious issue? As a female, do you feel as though you should have learned this from other females in your family, or even just friends or teachers? It is an issue for everyone but as a guy I figured women had a better understanding (at least from a earlier age)than men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire how honest you were at the beginning of your post on how you thought the term meant just what the media was portraying it to be. I also think its great that you identify as a feminist and are trying to bring light to the issues of racism, sexism, and classicism. How have you tried to make people more aware of these issues today? Also how successful has it been? I think its great what you are doing though. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,

    I enjoyed hearing that you had not heard the term feminism used by your friends and family because I thought I was the only one. I have never heard the term used in my household so at the begining of the movie I thought "Does this mean my family does not care and are anti-feminist?" Through this movie I also hope to break down the feminist stereotype and get the real meaning (or meanings) of the word out to my family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    I think it's great how honest you were at the beginning of your post about you original definition of feminists. When I was younger, I felt the same way, but because I live with three feminists now it's very enlightening to me. I'm glad you consider yourself a feminist and try your hardest to bring up the issues. It's the people who call themselves feminists, but ignore the issues and don't fight them that don't truly make the difference. The fact that you fight for the issues is where you'll truly make the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, in response to your questions I do think that this is a serious issue that young kids first learn about sexuality and gender roles and capitalism through media and popular culture, which we have seen in endless examples as not being the most positive introduction to each others role in society. I do not think it is a females role to be aware and the leader of this fight, as you said it is an issue that affects everyone, therefore everyone should take the steps to teach all individuals from a young age about embracing diversity and difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phebs, thanks for the support. I have been involved with a women's group on campus the past few years and this has allowed for the space of like minded woman and allies to come together for support and sisterhood. I think that once of the foundation steps to creating change is creating a space for others alike to gather and share common thoughts, feelings, and hope for the future. Every conversation you can start is a great step to bring what many of times is a silent or uncomfortable issue to discuss, it does matter, change doesn't happen overnight, it takes time and effort. Women's club will be back next semester I will be sure to let you know details if your interested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "People have forgotten how to look at the individual because their minds are so polluted with these preconceived judgments that mainstream society perpetuates."

    YES--this is so, so true! I esp. appreciate the use of the word pollute, because just as we are polluting the earth in an ecological sense, we are polluting our minds and spirits from the toxic media culture. However, since media isn't going away, we must try to use it to spread our own messages. One of the places this is happening is the Blogosphere, which I am happy to see!

    ReplyDelete